Monday, November 9, 2009

Show this Friday at Firehouse, Worcester. Recap.


My band, 926 Main Street Apt. 2, has a show with Worcester dudes,  Calumet-Hecla and some noisemakers, Slasher-Risk and Grasshopper from NYC at the Firehouse in Worcester this friday the 13th night.  8:30pm.  Email for directions if you wish.  

----------

Last weekend, played with Pablo and Drew out in 
Alfred, NY.  Ate some bad college food.  Played a show with a broken PA system.  And came back.  On the way back, listened to: 
The New Flaming Lips album, which Paul was upset about because the drummer played nothing but drum fills the whole album and I was upset about because it was boring and droney. I vowed to never write a boring song.  
The New Weezer album, which I have embraced, after finding myself able to sympathize with Rivers' obsession with popular music and culture and realizing that this album is just an extension of that obsession and deciding its ok to buy into his obsession more or less because it is Weezer and I want to take that ride.

Took Isaac Asimov's Treasurey of Humor  out of the Norwood Library.  It has an awesome introduction by Asimov but the book consists primarily of jokes Asimov would tell at parties or his friends would tell and most of them are real flatliners.  There are a lot of golf jokes,  and
 fewer science jokes than I would have expected.  The book is written with commentary between jokes that incorporate a lot of "humor theory"  which I find conceptually fascinating, but the way Asimov writes it, it's almost like he sets up a joke and tells it poorly first and then gives alternate punchlines or variations of the joke to make it funny.  So if you are just looking for good okes to tell don't get this book.  If you are interested in what Isaac Asimov finds funny and ready to have your sense of humor described as unsophisticated then this is the joke book for you.  

Also according to the Asimov wikipedia, in the BU archives there is an outline for a scifi screenplay Asimov wrote for Paul McCartney's band WINGS, about a band that finds out they are being impersonated by aliens.  WHOA.  
If that's there, imagine all the other crazy Asimov stuff in the BU archives....


6 comments:

Crystal said...

I really like Weezer's new album, too! A lot of the "original" fans I know online think it's crap because it's not TBA part 2, but I think it's more rock-ish than pop-ish. It's a lot better than The Red Album, that's for sure.

Joe DeGeorge said...

I don't know. I really like the RED ALBUM a lot if you exclude the songs Rivers did not write.

Crystal said...

I liked Cold, Dark World okay. Thought I Knew and Automatic I'll usually listen to about half of before skipping to the next song.

I like the music to Heart Songs, and Pig is just great.

Inheritx Solutions said...

I really enjoying to listen songs and I'll usually listen to about half of before skipping to the next song. Its really awesome and cool post.
---------

Hire iPhone Apps Developer | Hire iPhone App Developer

Unknown said...

Nice and perfect songs hears here.
Thanks to share.

Igor Kopmar,
Cheap Flights ,
Cheap Airline Tickets Advisor

Unknown said...

www.tenderdetail.com